The Mighty Mushroom Zoodle Pasta (4 servings)
- oil, for frying
- 1 pack of Mighty Mushroom Bites
- FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE (can also use jarred marinara sauce):
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Italian or fire-roasted)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ teaspoon dried basil
- 5-6 medium zucchini about 2¼ pounds total, spiralized into noodles using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler
- chopped parsley for serving
- grated Parmesan (vegan) cheese for serving
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a large 12" skillet on medium heat. Add the Mighty Mushroom Bites in a single layer and cook for 3-5 minutes, browning on all sides.
- FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE:
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic and cook until softened and fragrant. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, broth, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer gently until sauce thickens about 20 minutes. Stir in basil and adjust seasonings as needed. Add the cooked mushroom bites and simmer, until heated through.
- TO MAKE THE ZUCCHINI NOODLES:
- Spiralize zucchini using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler into noodles. At this point, you can divide into bowls if serving raw.
- To cook zoodles, lightly oil a pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and saute for 1-2 minutes or slightly softened but still tender. Do not overcook.
- TO ASSEMBLE:
- Transfer to bowls and spoon sauce and meatballs over zucchini noodles. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.