Spicy “Sausage” Shakshuka
Recipe type: Vegan Veggie Burger Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 45 mins Serves: 2-4 Spicy “Sausage” Shakshuka | Brekkie Link If you love brunch, this one is for you! This shakshuka is easy to make, has a little kick and will leave you feeling energized all day.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapenõ, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 4 Big Mountain Super-Food Brekkie Links, sliced
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and a generous pinch of salt. Saute until just translucent. Stir in the garlic, jalapenõ, and Brekkie Links and saute until the links are browned.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up with the back of your spoon. Stir in the oregano, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt accordingly.
- Crack the eggs on top of the simmering tomato sauce. Cover and let simmer for 5-7 minutes. You want the
- surface of the eggs to be just barely opaque - don’t leave it too long or the yolks won’t be runny.
- Uncover the shakshuka and take it off of the heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately with toast.
Note: to make vegan, replace eggs with a vegan egg, chick peas, eggplant or more of your favourite veggies