Fiesta Vegan Paella (4 servings)
- 4 Fiesta Veggie Links
- ½ heaping teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ¼ cup water/veggie broth (for water saute)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups green beans or asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups of tomatoes, seeded and diced or 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes + juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- 1½ cups short grain rice
- 3½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 can/jar (14 oz) artichoke hearts in water, drained and quartered
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- chopped parsley leaves, to garnish
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat olive oil/broth over medium heat in a large wide flat-bottomed pan or paella pan (a dutch oven or large non stick pot would also suffice). Add onions and bell peppers, cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, green beans, tomatoes, smoked paprika, turmeric, red pepper flakes and bay leaves, cook another 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add in the rice, broth. Gently move the vegetables around so the rice falls to the bottom of the pan as much as possible. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium or medium-low and cook at a continuous gentle boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Do not stir the rice.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, scatter the peas and artichoke hearts, chopped Fiesta Veggie Links on top. Once 20 minutes is up, turn off heat and cover for 10 minutes with a kitchen towel or other cover of choice. This will allow the rice to absorb any remaining liquid as well as steam the peas and warm the artichoke hearts and Fiesta Veggie Links. Once done, lightly fluff the rice and serve. Discard bay leaves before eating.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley. Pairs perfectly with a side of leafy greens and a big squeeze of lemon over top. Enjoy straight from the pan or serve in individual bowls.