- 1 package of Caulicrumble
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or preferred oil
- 1 cup of cremini or white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari , low sodium (sub soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Salt and fresh-cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (optional)
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and wait until it's hot. Add mushrooms and sauté until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions, carrots, and garlic. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds stiring into the veggies.
- Add tamari and Italian seasoning. Cook for 30-60 seconds
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and pour in the red wine. Cook until almost completely reduced, about 2-3 minutes. Turn heat back to medium.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer then reduce to a low simmer. Break apart the Caulicrumble and place into the sauce. Cook until sauce thickens about 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf and remove from heat.
- Let the sauce sit a few minutes to thicken. Top over freshly cooked pasta and sprinkle with nutritional yeast.