- VEGAN RICOTTA
- 1½ cups raw macadamia nuts
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ medum lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup water (plus more as needed)
- THE REST
- 1 28-ounce jar favorite marinara sauce (I like Chirstine's Crushings)
- 3 medium zucchini squash thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (176 C).
- Add macadamia nuts to a food processor or blender and mix to combine, scraping down sides as needed. You're looking for a fine meal.
- Add remaining ingredients: Nutritional yeast, fresh basil, oregano, lemon juice, olive oil (optional), salt, pepper, water and vegan parmesan cheese (optional). You are looking for a well-puréed mixture/paste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper for flavor, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and lemon juice for brightness.
- Pour about 1 cup marinara sauce into a 9x13-inch baking dish and line with thinly sliced zucchini.
- Scoop small spoonfuls amounts of ricotta mixture over the zucchini and gently spread into a thin layer. Spread on a layer of marinara sauce and then top with more zucchini slices. Continue until all filling and zucchini are used up. The top two layers should be zucchini and then sauce. Sprinkle on vegan parmesan cheese (optional), and then cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more. The zucchini should be very easily pierced when cut with a knife. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving